The School Museum of History of Russian Deaf-and-Dumb Pedagogy

 
 

Museum's certificate

By the year 1988 Elena Komarova, the teacher of the Russian language and Literature, with some help from other teachers managed to organise the first exposition of the museum, the grand opening of which took place on the 25th anniversary of the school's movement to a new building.

Elena Komarova (1926 - 1990)

           
 

Rescription of the museum's exposition

The exposition consists out of 3 halls and a gallery, which marks the beginning of the museum.

 
 

Gallery

The first stand is dedicated to the founder of the museum Mrs. E. Komarova. The main subject of the gallery is the story of the people, who managed to conquest their deafness. Among them is O. Scorohodova, who became a scientist, writer and poet; K. Tsiolkovsky, who lost his hearing ability at the age of 9, but managed to become a famoust scientist, and many others.

 
       
 

First Hall

The first hall is dedicated to the history of Russian deaf-and-dumb pedagogy. The exposition opens with a book by G. Gurtsev, published in 1838, containing an encyclopaedic course of methodical and practical lessons for the deaf. This book is the one of the first attempts to educate of the deaf in Russia.

 
         
  In the exposition you will find a portrait of a well-known Russian poet's Pushkin's father painted by a deaf artist K. Gampeln, who was a teacher in the school for the deaf in St. Petersburg.

K. Gampeln. Portrait of S. Pushkin, 1821.

 
       
  The next stand presents the important events in the history of deaf-and-dumb pedagogy in the second part of the 19th century, like the opening of Arnold-Tretyakov school for the deaf and the first kindergarten.  
       
  Special place is allocated to the Rau dynasty. F. Rau was the founder of the analytic-synthetical method of teaching, his wife was the founder of the first kindergarten for the deaf, and their children became their followers.  
         
  The main events from 1921 to the 1980s are presented in detail to the visitors on the next stand (the history of the Soviet deaf-and-dumb pedagogy).

These are not just photo-graphs, they are the story of education of the deaf, they are also the revelation of more and more abilities and achievements of people with hearing disability.

 
         
  Second Hall

This hall accommodates an exposition, which tells the visitors about the work done by the school No. 1838, its graduates and other events goings on in the school's life. For many years the school has been using a specially designed learning programmes, which was compiled taking into account of the variety of our children's abilities.

 
  Over the years the school has grown immensely, and now, by the 1 April 1998, it consists of 40 classes and 5 groups for younger children, which altogether makes up a number as high as 314 pupils. The school is well equipped with computers, large classrooms, and is able to offer a large sports stadium mainly used for athletics.  
  The school emphasizes the importance of sport in a child's life and pays a great deal of attention to sport activities. The pupils are often entered into sport competitions for people with hearing problems. A large part of the 2nd hall is dedicated to other activities and presents to the visitor a large choice of clubs and lessons offered by the school to its students.  
         
 

Third Hall

The third hall reveals the foreign affairs and close relationships with other schools and unititions all over the world working in the same educational sphere.

 
         
Home page Main menu Russian version